Monday, November 30, 2009

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND IN CALIFORNIA


So Thanksgiving 2009 has come and gone, and I feel a bit nostalgic already but also very thankful for a wonderful Thanksgiving. My sister came to visit. She hasn't come here since 2007. Now we have a fantastic new apartment with a good size kitchen for making yummy dinners and baking treats, and its clean! So having visitors is a great chance to utilize our ammenities.

My sister came in on Thanksgiving day, and fortunately the airport wasn't too crowded. Her flight was about 40 minutes delayed, but that was fine because it gave us more time to prepare dinner. When she arrived it was about 80 degrees outside so we went for a stroll around the neighborhood.
After dinner we watched Love Actually, with my friend Karen. I highly recommend this movie for some warm holiday cheer. I thought I had to work the next day so I tried to go to bed early. I was not happy about getting up in the morning, but then it turned out I didn't have to work!! So I was able to spend more time with my sis. We didn't do too much on Friday, but we did go down to the beach in the evening and had chinese food at Mao's. Yum! A cold front came in and it was about 50 degrees and very windy. I was glad though because I really miss seasons here in LA, and 80 is not ideal for eating a big carb meal.

Saturday we went to the Page Museum at the Tar Pits, The Farmers Market at the Grove, and the Griffith Obsrervatory. We ended the night with dinner at Masa, one of Echo Park's little gems. Yesterday I took her to the airport after we had a nice lunch, and was filled with joy and sadness. I won't be going home for Christmas this year so I felt very grateful for her visit.
I feel very blessed for this long weekend with my sister, but I do wish I could be closer to my family during the rest of the season. A little snow would be nice too. Anyways, I hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday season and can remember the true meaning is not about shopping and presents, but about about sharing time with your loved ones and giving what you can to those who are less fortunate--at least that's what I was taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment