Wednesday, July 8, 2009

POLAROIDS

I recently found an old box with about 200 polaroids I took a few years back. When I was in school I tried to cover my wall with them, vey cliche, I know. I love the portability and tangibility though. It is a very nostalgic medium, and makes me feel like a kid on a scavenger hunt (for photos). The polaroid camera I had growing up broke when I was a teenager, and I didn't have one for about eight years. I dabbled in those ridiculous izones cameras for awhile. It was fun to stick them on things, but the images were so small it made people look like ants. Finally, I bought a good polaroid camera like the one I had when I was a kid, at a thrift store in San Francisco. Somehow I lost it before I even got back. One of my friends gave me one for my birthday a few years ago and it has been with me ever since. I think I should take up the medium again because it really was fun. Below are some I shot in 2004-2006 .





Joshua Tree, CA


San Francisco, CA



Brooklyn, NY

Houston, TX
Pasadena, CA
One of my favorite photographers has a wonderful book of polaroids that is quite poetic. It's called Walker Evans: Polaroids. It was the last series he did before he died. I highly recommend it if you like photos and you like beauty of the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment