Thursday, April 16, 2009

AND SOME VIDEOS de BUENOS AIRES

Most of the stuff I shot in Buenos Aires was with my little digital point and shoot. Here are a few videos I took with it.

1. Every Sunday (and most Saturdays) there is a feria de las artesanales (crafts fair) in San Telmo almost to Plaza de Mayo. This is probably the most amazing street fair I have been to thus far. I went for the first time the second month I was there, and ended up going 3 more times in less than a month. They have crafts, music, delicious Argetine food, tango dancing, and different bands. It was a delight for the senses.

Below is a short video of a Brazilian drum beat style music and dancers. You can also pay to see a band called La Bomba de Tiempo, Mondays at El Cuidad Cultural Konex. This is a great 3 hour performance with lots of dedicated fans, but I prefer the free performance, walking the streets of San Telmo. The music was infectious, and it was fun to watch while making your way down the street!



2. This is just some ambient sound of the street fair. There is no video, but you can hear birds singing, the happy chatter of people, and if you listen closely, you can even hear the drum beats off in the distance. I miss it!!



3. This is a snip-it of a Tango Show I saw at Cafe Tortoni, the oldest cafe in the city. It recently celebarted it's 150th birthday last year. I don't even know if places have existed that long here in the US. The brooklyn bridge is the only place that comes to mind. Tortoni could be equated to Sardi's in New York. Many famous writers and Tango dancers used to frequent here, the waiters wear black tie, and there are original tiffany lamps and other artifacts on display. It is a must see if you visit the city.

The tango show takes place in the basement underneath the cafe, which gives it a very nostalgic feel. The show itself is not as good as El Viejo Almacen. Tortoni's show is bit campy at points (probably to accommodate tourists), but still nice. The desserts on the other hand are to die for. I highly recommend the fresas con crema (strawberries with fresh cream), or a submarino (chocolate bar melted in steamed milk); and of course the staple Argentine dessert alfajores do not disappoint.

Font size

4. One night all the museums in the city were free, Noche de Los Museos, and let me tell you there are A LOT! I went with a few friends to the ones near where I was staying. Most of the lines were insanely long, and most museums with the lines are cheap for US currency or free anyways. We decided to go to one that was usually more expensive, and some smaller more esoteric places. One place was more like a cultural center and I think it was called the Museum of Rock, but I can't find the paper on it. When we went in, it was very small and had about 50 chairs set up for a band. They looked like they were in High School and most of the audience looked like teenage friends or families. They were pretty good though, and it was fun!



5. This video is more abstract. It's a close-up of a fountain in a park I frequented. I definitely miss the parks in Recoleta! You can hear a car horn towards the end. Only in New York can I stand the sound of horns, but this one sounds kinda nice in the distance. I really think drivers of Buenos Aires use their horns more than they use their turn signals, and definitely more than they use lanes! Some how they make it work though.



El Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment